PUGSTER

360702_$4.99 Fashion Beads!

Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Upcyled Skirt / Dress Tutorial

I was given an adorable little "dress" for my daughters.  It, however,  wasn't something I would have let my daughters wear.  I just couldn't see getting rid of such a beautiful item.  I knew it could become something new, useful and even more beautiful!

Here is the pic of the dress "before" transformation:

Pretty, eh?  So, what did I do?  I CUT IT IN HALF!

If you look closely, you'll see that I lifted up the bottom ruffle and cut it where it wouldn't show. The fabric I was working with was a lycra which doesnt fray, but it would still be smart and look better if at this time the under layer that was cut was got a serger run-through. AND....this is what I came up with:

I did shorten the straps as well because it was just too low. Next, it was time to deal with the bottom half, and, once again..I reverted to my love of denim upcycling!

I grabbed a jean mini skirt that a well intentioned person gave my daughter and merged the two! (it's important to note here that if I had had my serger out, this would have been a much sturdier and cleaner merger! It's not too late though....!) Then turn it over and top stitch just a smidge onto the denim edge. AND....:

A cute and flirty skirt!..... here is a pic of them together:

Now, it should be said here, that the outfit was NOT complete for my daughter....but, with a little black t-shirt.....

(pay no attention to the adorable doggie behind the dress!)

THEN....add a cute long sleeve denim shrug....and VOILA!....


An adorable and funky outfit!  Ok, ladies....challenge time...Get out those tiny dresses and CUT EM UP.....and show me what ya get!!!!!!!!!!




2 comments:

Robin said...

That is such an awesome idea!!!! We have been given things at times for our girls and just not ok to wear. How cool is that!! Awesome!!!

Volleysoft said...

I'm glad you liked it! It happens more than not in our family. We've learned to consider them "blessings in disguise", or "great outfits waiting to happen"!!!!

Snapfinger

logos01_leaderboard

Swagbucks are AWESOME!

Search & Win