PUGSTER

360702_$4.99 Fashion Beads!

Thursday, February 24, 2011

Upcycling Jeans with my daughter

I have passed my love of upcycling jeans to my oldest daughter, Raegan (she is 14 now, but was 13 when we made these). I thought I would post a couple skirts that we did together.....


This skirt was a lot of fun to make.  I had cut the pant legs off another pair of pants that I just wanted the waistband from and saved them because of how pretty the white embroidery was.  I was unsure of what to do with it as yet.  Then, Raegan decided she wanted a skirt, so she took some blue jeans, chopped off the bottoms(she likes t-length skirts) and started looking for fabric to put in it.


I then stepped in and told her I had something that would work...the bottoms of the other pair!
So, We attatched them...and VOILA...an adorable skirt! People usually ask what store it came from! (One question, Raegan...what's it like to be so skinny?)


On this skirt, Raegan did most of the work herself.  I helped by finding her the cute camo fabric with blue embroidered butterflies in my stash as well as the butterfly sew-on patch. 

She did the leg chopping, seam ripping, fabric cutting, and most of the sewing.  Her sewing machine was getting ready to bite the dust, so, I did help her with the top part and the hems.  (this skirt is a little tight  now, so she's going to give it away to someone else)


I will be posting a basic tutorial on these soon......as well as some fun variations!

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

The Lord Works in mysterious ways. My daughter just asked me about making a skirt from jeans. Back in the late '70's & 80's maybe it was the 90's. I just use old jeans to make some of every thing. But I just happened across this site by the Lord leading me here. " To God be the glory" Now I can just refer her to your site, she's in Tx me in CA. Thank you Jesus. Of course I thank you and your daughters demonstrations.

Volleysoft said...

God is SO good! I'm so glad that he allowed my daughter and I to be a help for you and yours!

Kari said...

Love it love it love it! I found that making memories with my two will come at the most unexpected times, and this seems like a very precious one. I bet she remembers it years from now. May He richly bless you for sharing this. Kari

Volleysoft said...

Glad you liked it! Far to often I've had to repremand myself for missing chances for precious times like this one. All too fast they will be grown up and my chance will be gone. Praise God for the 5 blessings he's given me!

Jenni F said...

Planned to help a friend with one of these skirts in a week or so, and so was excited to find your site. However, I can't seem to find the tutorial. Have you posted it yet??

Volleysoft said...

I didn't realize I hadn't done that yet! I'll try to get it up tonight!

Beth said...

I would LOVE to see that tutorial, as well!

Jenni F said...

Were you able to find that tutorial? I'd still like to work on this project in the future. Thanks!

Helen @ Blue Eyed Beauty Blog said...

Love your skrit!! I am sharing it on a post later tonight on my blog!! I can't wait to look around your blog and see what other creative things you've made! :)

I found you via Pinterest.

Helen
Blue Eyed Beauty Blog

mary zalesky said...

I've been saving some clothes that I undergrew by losing weight. Is this a religous site or can anyone who's interested in sewing join?

mary zalesky said...

I've been saving some clothes that I undergrew by losing weight. Is this a religous site or can anyone who's interested in sewing join?

Unknown said...

So where is the tutorial??? I'd love to make these, but would like some clarification on your process!

Helen @ Blue Eyed Beauty Blog said...

I don't know where her tutorial is and she hasn't published a new post since March, but I have a tutorial for a knee length skirt out of jeans which you're welcome to look at: http://blueeyedbeautyblogg.blogspot.com/2012/06/diy-shorter-denim-skirt-with-ruffle.html

Helen
Blue Eyed Beauty Blog

Volleysoft said...

I'm so sorry....I have been MIA for a while because we got a new house and have had to do MAJOR renovations.....I hope to.have the tutorial up for you soon though!!!!

Volleysoft said...

I'm so sorry....I have been MIA for a while because we got a new house and have had to do MAJOR renovations.....I hope to.have the tutorial up for you soon though!!!!

Grandma Sue said...

I don't like clothes to wear that provoke the comment, "Oh she made that out of old jeans." I believe it is Hanncock Fabrics that sells pieces of denim at a reasonable price from which one can make a skirt. One could bleach the fabric first to make a faded jeans look. Re purpose your old jeans into shorts, or make patches out of them for purses or even skirts!

Snapfinger

logos01_leaderboard

Swagbucks are AWESOME!

Search & Win